UvA Master's Introduction
on 29 August 2017
All new international (pre-)Master students at the University of Amsterdam (UvA) are cordially invited to attend the general UvA Master's Introduction Day on Tuesday, 29 August 2017.
On this page:
The main purpose of this event is to give you a warm welcome and prepare you for your time in Amsterdam. You will have the opportunity to meet many other international (pre-)Master’s students from the UvA. This (pre-)Master’s Introduction Day is organised exclusively for international students starting a full-time Master’s programme or for international students starting a full-time pre-Master’s programme.
Programme 29 August 2017
09:00-09:30 Walk-in at De LaMar Theatre
09:30-09:45 Official welcome
09:45-11:00 Info session Get Connected
11:00-11:30 Coffee break
11:30-13:00 Crash course Do Dutch
13:00-15:00 Lunch & Canal Cruise through Amsterdam's historical city *
* Unfortunately, because of the large number of students, we cannot take into account allergies or dietary requirements. A vegetarian lunch is offered, though. Of course, feel free to bring your own (alternative) lunch if you wish.
During the UvA Master’s Introduction Day, we will look into some factors that positively influence a successful completion of your (pre-)Master’s programme. Furthermore, we would like to provide you with tools to help you get the most out of your study and time in Amsterdam:
- The Get Connected info session helps you to get familiar with your new life in Amsterdam. We will cover important social and practical topics, so you can easily get connected to our University, our city and our student community. Reboot, connect and...hit start.
- Next, the Institute of Dutch Language Education will introduce you to the Dutch culture, language and urban buzz of Amsterdam: a crash course called ‘Do Dutch’.
- The rest of the programme includes an official welcome by a representative of the UvA and a lunch. We will end the UvA Master’s Introduction Day with an unique way to experience the city. While you are eating your lunch, you will be shown the attractive city from the water. A canal cruise will take you along the famous sights that Amsterdam’s historical city has to offer.
Participation is not mandatory, but is highly recommended, since it will be a good start of your time as an UvA student and as a (temporary) citizen of Amsterdam.
- A ticket for the UvA Master's Introduction Day costs €50.
- In case you decide not to participate in the UvA Master’s Introduction Day after your registration, please note that a refund is not possible. Registration is strictly personal and it is not possible to resell tickets or make use of someone else’s place.
The UvA will not be responsible for any loss or damage that may result from participation during the UvA Master's Introduction Day. Read more about taking care of your safety in Amsterdam.
Registration is no longer possible. Questions? You can find our contact details at the bottom of this page.
Last year on 30 August 2016
Faculty introduction day(s)
Apart from the UvA Master’s Introduction Day, your Faculty will organise a mandatory introduction day or days. This Faculty Introduction will take place on Wednesday 30 August and/or on Thursday 31 August 2017. It will be focussed on practical study information, and is a great opportunity to meet your fellow students and the staff and teachers of the Faculty.
You will receive an invitation for this particular Faculty introduction from your own programme. In case you have questions about this Faculty introduction, please contact your programme directly.
Other Introduction Parties
As an international (pre-)Master’s student, you cannot participate in the full programme of the Intreeweek or the ISN Amsterdam Summer Introduction Week, because these introductions are especially for Bachelor’s and Exchange students. You can, however, join the ISN Final Party and the Intreeweek Final Party. (The UvA Master’s Introduction Day and the Faculty Introduction day(s) are organised especially for UvA (pre-)Master’s students.)
ISN Final Party
The International Student Network Amsterdam will organise - as part of the Summer Introduction (for international Bachelor's & Exchange students) - a Final Party on Friday, 25 August 2017. It will take place in The Melkweg, one of Amsterdam’s finest city centre venues. You are more than welcome to join this party and have a great night out with other new international students.
Tickets are low-priced: €10. You can buy a ticket at the entrance of The Melkweg before 00:30.
INTREEWEEK Final Party
The Intreeweek (Introduction week for UvA Bachelor’s students) is hosting a grand closing party on Friday, 1 September, between 23:00 and 04:00 (am). You are, as a (pre-)Master’s student, more than welcome to join this party for only €15. It will take place in some of Amsterdam’s finest city centre venues: Paradiso, The Melkweg and The Sugarfactory. From tech-house to R&B, from hiphop to pop - there is a style for everyone.
Tickets will be available from the beginning of August, on the website of Intreeweek.
If you have any questions or need further information about the UvA Master’s Introduction Day on 29 August, you can send an email to: email@example.com.