Earth Sciences: Future Planet Ecosystem Science (track)
Why specialise in Future Planet Ecosystem Science?
Human impact on our planet has reached unprecedented proportions. This severely affects biodiversity, geo-ecosystems and the services they provide to humanity. We urgently need an in-depth understanding of the functioning of geo-ecosystems, to predict the effects of local and global change (land use change, eutrophication, pollution, climate change) and to successfully manage Earth's systems (e.g. through integrated land management, spatial planning, nature and soil conservation). Only then can we rely on the use of ecosystem services in a sustainable way.
This Master’s track teaches cutting-edge, quantitative methods (including observations, modelling and big data analysis) and how to apply these methods to global challenges. Specific attention is given to the identification of where scientific knowledge falls short of contributing to solutions for the grand challenges we are facing.
Is Future Planet Ecosystem Science the track for me?
Future Planet Ecosystem Science is an interdisciplinary programme which integrates knowledge from disciplines such as earth sciences, ecology, geography, and environmental chemistry.
- The best way to predict the future is to create it. Are you concerned about global change and the future of our planet with an ever increasing human population?
- Do you want to deepen your knowledge on the grand challenges that we are facing and the best ways we can address these?
- Do you want to contribute to increasing the knowledge needed to solve global problems and take the right decisions for creating a sustainable world?
- Do you want to develop skills in modelling and big data analyses so you can play a part in the science that is needed to support our future planet?
- Do you have a broad interest in natural sciences?
Then Future Planet Ecosystem Science might be the right track for you!
What does Future Planet Ecosystem Science at the UvA have to offer me?
- Future Planet Ecosystem Science offers a unique and inspiring programme with lots of opportunities to make your own choices and customise the content to your own interests. Courses and individual topics focus on how natural science can contribute to solving the main societal challenges of our over-populated planet Earth.
- Future Planet Ecosystem Science is taught by a team of inspired and enthusiastic lecturers, specialised in a range of topics that span the fields of earth science to ecology and evolution. In this way we foster interdisciplinary thinking and inspire out-of-the-box approaches to solve the grand challenges of our future planet.
- During your Master’s research project you will become member of a research group, making an actual contribution to scientific advancement. You will work closely together with top researchers in the field, which gives you a head start in developing your professional network.
- During your studies you will get acquainted with the latest methodologies and you will have access to state-of-the-art infrastructure including e-Science virtual laboratories, GIS-studio, extensive databases, and cluster and cloud computing facilities for topical modelling and data analysis.
Related research institutes
Future Planet Ecosystem Science works across disciplines and is firmly embedded in the interdisciplinary Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics (IBED) which covers high quality research on earth surface science, ecology, environmental chemistry, modelling, and big data analyses. Future Planet Ecosystem Science is designed in close collaboration with the Departments of Ecological Science and Environmental Geography of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, who also participate in the teaching.
- MSc MSc Earth Sciences
- Regulier onderwijs
- Vooropleiding nodig
- 120 EC EC, 24 maanden