Literary and Cultural Analysis (Literary Studies)
Literary and Cultural Analysis offers you the intellectual knowledge and skills to interpret and reflect on literature, art, and popular culture. Central to the programme is the hands-on engagement with concrete objects – novels, films, poems, operas, television series, art installations, websites, performances, and so on. The detailed analysis of those objects is combined with wide-ranging philosophical, political, and social approaches of culture and the arts. In this way, the programme enables you to interpret and evaluate particular texts, images, and objects in relation to larger philosophical explorations and cultural developments.
Is Literary and Cultural Analysis right for you?
Literary and Cultural Analysis the ideal programme for you if:
- You have an active interest in contemporary culture, literature and the arts.
- You are fascinated by philosophical and political questions.
- You have a qualified pre-university diploma – a valid secondary school/high school diploma or Dutch university preparatory education (VWO) diploma.
- You can demonstrate a good command of the English language.
Why study Literary and Cultural Analysis at the UvA?
Literary and Cultural Analysis at the University of Amsterdam offers you:
- A unique, interdisciplinary programme: the degree combines the best of two disciplines – Cultural Studies and Comparative Literature – offering unique philosophical and political insights into art, literature and popular culture. Learn more at Study Programme.
- A tailor-made programme: you will be able to combine our core courses with electives in Media Studies, Philosophy, Comparative Literature, Art History, and History;
- A vibrant community with an international outlook: you will be taught by leading intellectuals focused on contemporary global developments in a student community comprising more than 60 nationalities. Hear what they have to say at Student Experiences.
- A springboard to an academic career: the Bachelor's in Literary and Cultural Analysis is the perfect step on your way to a Master’s or Research Master’s degree in Cultural or Literary Studies. After completing your Bachelor's, you can apply to one of UvA's many Master's programmes.
- A gateway to Europe with an easygoing vibe: Amsterdam is modest in size, enjoys one of the lowest costs of living of all major European capitals, and offers a uniquely liberal, cosmopolitan, and intellectual environment. Classes take place in the historical city centre.
Rankings and reputation
The University of Amsterdam (UvA) offers a world-class education. The BA in Literary and Cultural Analysis is offered by the Faculty of Humanities of the UvA.
- UvA is ranked 52nd in the world and 1st in the Netherlands in the Arts and Humanities category of the QS World University Rankings 2015.
- UvA is ranked 45th in the THE Top 100 sub-ranking for the Arts and Humanities (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2015).
- UvA is member of LERU (League of European Research Universities), an exclusive network of renowned research universities.
- UvA is a member of Universitas 21, the network of leading research-intensive universities in the 21st century in 13 countries.
Literary and Cultural Analysis is an accredited degree programme of Literary Studies. Upon successful completion of the programme students will receive a legally accredited Bachelor's degree in Literary Studies and the title Bachelor of Arts (BA).
- BA Literary Studies
- Regulier onderwijs
- Voltijd, deeltijd
- 180 EC, 36 maanden