Media and Information
Media and Information in today's digital world
In their private lives and as citizens or professionals, people constantly produce and use information. Contemporary life is shaped by ever more complex information technologies and an intensifiying information economy. Information has become central to the arts, humanities, journalism, government and administration and the creative industries. Media and Information gives you advanced conceptual and practical tools to understand the shifts in culture and society brought about by the constant transformation of the media which organise and distribute information.
Is Media and Information right for you?
Media and Information is the ideal programme if you:
- Want to understand how social media platforms, mobile devices, organisations, and their institutional and political frameworks shape our culture through the production, distribution, and use of information.
- Have a broad interest in the relationship between culture and technology.
- Want to learn the latest tools and methodologies which enable you to explore how information travels.
- Have a qualified pre-university diploma, with a background in history, humanities, social sciences or technology.
- Can demonstrate a good command of the English language.
Why study Media and Information at the UvA?
Media and Information at the University of Amsterdam offers you:
- A cutting-edge, tailor-made programme that combines a broad overview of the most recent developments in the field, while also offering students the freedom to choose their own area of specialisation.
- A hands-on and practical education: in addition to conceptual and critical capabilities the programme also teaches you applied research skills. In our state-of-the-art media-lab you will conduct research about digital media, and employ the most advanced digital research methods, information systems, and software tools.
- An ambitious international environment: You will discuss the global media landscape with leading experts from all over the world and a student community composed of more than 30 nationalities.
- The Media and Information programme has strong ties with the thriving Amsterdam community of new media companies, digital art institutions, creative industries, game and app developers, archives, and museums.
- Impressive career prospects: Graduates go on to work in journalism, advertising, and media sectors, and hold positions as project managers, data analysts, and developers in museums, libraries, archives, the creative industry, and other commercial companies.
- After completing your Bachelor's, you can apply to one of UvA's many Master's programmes.
Sophie Hutten – A first year student
‘I study Media and Information, which is all about online research, business intelligence, digital marketing, and varying forms of journalism, communication and production in the creative industry. I’m being trained to understand and work with new media and the ever-present stream of information.’
Rankings and reputation
The University of Amsterdam (UvA) offers a world-class education.
- UvA is ranked 52nd in the world and 1st in the Netherlands in the Arts and Humanities category of the QS World University Rankings 2015.
- UvA is ranked 45th in the THE Top 100 sub-ranking for the Arts and Humanities (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2015)
- UvA is a member of LERU (League of European Research Universities), an exclusive network of renowned research universities.
- UvA is a member of Universitas 21, the network of leading research-intensive universities in the 21st century in 13 countries.
Accreditation and degree
The Bachelor's programme Media and Information can be classified under the broad field of Media Studies. The quality of this programme has been positively accredited by the Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders (NVAO). This means that after successful completion of the programme you will receive a recognised Bachelor’s degree in Media and Information and the title Bachelor of Arts (BA).
- BA Media and Information
- 180 EC, 36 maanden