Postdoctoral researcher Computer Vision and Machine Learning
Faculty of Science – Informatics Institute
- 9 mei 2017
- €2,552 to €4,691 gross per month
- 15 juni 2017
- 38 hours per week
The Informatics Institute (IvI), is one of the largest research institutes within the Faculty of Science, with a focus on complex information systems divided in two broad themes: 'Computational Systems' and 'Intelligent Systems'. The institute has a prominent international standing and is active in a dynamic scientific area, with a strong innovative character and an extensive portfolio of externally funded projects. The institute invites applications for a postdoctoral researcher within the SEMIA (The Sensory Moving Image Archive) project.
Visual characteristics such as light and color, shape and size, or movement inside or between successive frames greatly affect the audience’s experience and interpretation of films and videos. In a project with humanities researchers, audio-visual archive professionals, and artists we aim to unlock the visual content of video archives to provide innovative ways of exploration and creative ways of presentation. The role of the postdoctoral researcher is to:
- develop methods which can learn to extract meaningful features from video fragments and relations among them to optimally support the exploration and presentation;
- publish in top journals and conferences in computer science as well as together with the other researchers in domain specific venues;
- interact with the other researchers to create synergy in research and innovation;
- manage the computer science part of the project;
- contribute to teaching and/or guiding bachelor and master students.
- PhD in Computer Science, emphasizing computer vision and machine learning;
- strong publication record in top-tier international conferences and journals;
- solid knowledge of programming and (deep) learning toolkits;
- motivated and capable of contributing to an interdisciplinary project.
Informal inquiries may be sent by email to:
For more information on the project you may check the:
The appointment of postdoctoral research fellow will be full time (38 hours a week) for two years. The gross monthly salary will be in accordance with the University regulations for academic personnel, and will range from €2,552 up to a maximum of €4,691 (salary scale 10/11) based on a full-time appointment depending on qualifications, expertise and on the number of years of professional experience. There are also secondary benefits, such as 8% holiday allowance per year and the end of year allowance of 8.3%. The Collective Employment Agreement for Dutch Universities is applicable.
Some of the things we have to offer:
- competitive pay and excellent benefits;
- extremely friendly, interactive and international working environment;
- new building near the city centre of one of Europe's most beautiful and lively cities;
- direct access to high-end computing facilities.
English is the working language within the Informatics Institute. Moreover, since Amsterdam is a very international city where almost everybody speaks and understands English, candidates need not be afraid of the language barrier.
Applications may only be submitted electronically through email@example.com. To process your application immediately, please quote vacancy number 17-238 and the title of the position you are applying for in the subject-line. Applications must include a complete curriculum vitae (mention the months and years when referring to your education and work experience), a research statement (maximum two pages) explaining why you are the right candidate, list of projects you have worked on with brief descriptions of your contributions and any supporting material. Please include the names of at least three references.
All these should be grouped in one PDF attachment.
NOTE: The Committee does not guarantee that late or incomplete applications will be considered. Applications not mentioning vacancy number and the title of the position you are applying for in the subject-line will not be processed. #LI-DNP
No agencies please