Student assistants in Communication Science – Persuasive Communication
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences – Department of Communication Science
- 10 mei 2017
- €1,931 to €2,251 gross per month, based on 38 hours per week
- 2 juni 2017
- 9 to 19 hours per week
Communication Science at the University of Amsterdam concentrates on the production, uses, and consequences of information and communication in informing, persuading, and entertaining citizens. There are currently four program groups: Persuasive Communication, Political Communication & Journalism, Corporate Communication, and Entertainment Communication.
With 1600 undergraduate and graduate students, Communication Science is among the biggest departments at the University of Amsterdam. The College of Communication and the Graduate School of Communication offer a Bachelor and Master program, a European joint degree program in Journalism and a Research Master, the only of its kind in the Netherlands. The research is organized in the Amsterdam School of Communication Research ASCoR. ASCoR hosts the Research Priority Area Communication of the UvA (awarded in 2011). Communication Science at the University of Amsterdam received a top ranking in the 2017 QS World University Rankings by Subject: number 1 in Europa, number 2 worldwide.
The Department of Communication Science is looking for motivated student assistants for training second year BA students in writing an individual literature review paper, as part of the second year BA module Persuasive Communication (DCW3).
- Teaching tutorial groups that focus on writing an individual literature review paper;
- each week you will explain parts of the writing process (developing a research question, searching for literature in the UvA Digital Library, writing each section of the paper, applying APA rules for referencing). Weekly, the students prepare small assignments that will be discussed during the meeting;
- grading of student papers, supervised by senior lecturer;
- assisting senior lecturers in teaching tutorial groups that focus on theories of persuasive communication.
The tutorial groups will take place in the first eight teaching weeks of the first semester (4 September to 27 October 2017). For every meeting, there will be an instruction for the student assistants, a teaching manual and a PowerPoint.
This job is an excellent opportunity for ambitious students who would like to build up their CV.
The student assistant we are looking for:
- is a Master’s student or Research Master's student Communication Science;
- is fluent in either Dutch or English (students who are fluent in both languages are preferred);
- obtained good grades;
- has a flexible schedule.
For specific questions about the job position, please contact:
The vacancy is from 28 August until 31 October 2017. Salary is €1.931 to €2.251 gross per month, based on 38 hours per week.
The Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities is applicable.
The deadline for applications is 2 June 2017. You can submit your application by sending us (in a single PDF-file):
- a short letter of motivation and CV;
- an example of a paper (e.g., your BA thesis or a literature review paper);
- grade transcript of your bachelor degree and – if applicable –grades obtained during the master.
In your mail, include contact details of the lecturer who has supervised you during the writing of the paper you hand in, so we can ask for a reference.
You may send your application to Ms. A. Grefhorst. #LI-DNP
No agencies please